Submit an idea and make Sauce Labs even better!
A lot of web apps send SMS messages to phones. Sometimes authentication messages/one-time-passwords, but there are lots of other reasons too. Would be nice to automate those E2E tests using SauceLabs.
Let me know if my answer was helpful. In addition to using a cloud based SMS service provider you can also use our new Extended Debugging feature to check if the frontend made a specific REST API call to the backend.
Thanks for the details. I see that there are a lot of cloud based SMS service providers that provide a REST API to send/receive text messages. Do you think that these 3rd party services might address your need? Let me know if you still feel that a SauceLabs phone number might be the best solution. I am happy to jump on a call to discuss this further if you prefer.
My ideal flow would be:
1. I have a web application which can trigger sends of SMS messages. Specifically the messages are sent via US short code. I want to test that web application and verify it is sending those messages successfully.
2. I have a test running using Selenium, Ruby, Cucumber
3. The test is running via a browser (ex: Chrome) on a SauceLabs VM
4. In addition to the VM/browser, I can ask SauceLabs via API for a mobile device to use, and get back a phone number. Or possibly, I could buy(?) from you a permanent phone number for my testing.
5. In my browser test, I tell the web application to send an SMS message to the SauceLabs phone #
6. I can query SauceLabs via API to find out when/if my SMS message arrived.
Hi, thanks for reaching out. Sorry about the delay. Which test automation framework are you planning to use to send/receive SMS messages?
Product Manager, Emu/Sim
You won't be notified about changes to this idea.